Sunday, April 27, 2008

Making Canvas Panels

This is me making a batch of handmade canvas panels.
-------------
Okay, I need some advice.
Recently, I was asked about the type of the support I use in these smaller oil paintings.
Up until now, I have been making my own canvas panels by "glueing" canvas to a masonite, poplar or veneer panel with gesso. This creates an archival layer between the panel and canvas and is something you don't get with most commercial panels. To finish, I apply three coats of gesso to the surface.
An artist friend of mine Phil Korell, taught me the basics of this process a few years ago and I have to say, I do like the results. They are much more substantial and have a neat, sort of old world look. Unfortunately, since starting my daily painting journal in January, I am stretched for time and am unable to continue making my own panels, so I switched over to a professional grade, Everlast canvas panel.
Does anyone have a suggestion on the type of panel they prefer?
I miss my old panels!


3 comments:

  1. Hi, I have been using a panel called Pintura panels. They are wood composite with cotton canvas glued over and are completely archival. I got them from Jerry's Artarama. They are very nice and come in sizes as small as 3x5. Hope this helps. Also I really enjoy your paintings of your border collie as I have a black tri Aussie that looks simular.
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, darn it!
    I was looking at those on Jerry's Website when I decided to go with the Everlast panels. They are really a fine high quality panel, but don't have a very consistent surface. Each one has a little different tooth and it sort of bugs me.
    I may just donate these to the high school and get some of the Pintura.
    Thanks for your advice!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I was just doing a search for gluing canvas to wood or masonite and your blog popped up!

    What do you use for glue? Most sites suggest rabbit skin glue or something that is reversible (in case the canvas needs to be restored or peeled off the panel).

    I'd like to try your old method myself. Not crazy about canvas mounted on board, but that's what I've been using; they often warp badly.

    Please email or respond!

    Thanks, Victoria

    ReplyDelete