Sunday, April 27, 2008

Making Canvas Panels

This is me making a batch of handmade canvas panels.
-------------
Okay, I need some advice.
Recently, I was asked about the type of the support I use in these smaller oil paintings.
Up until now, I have been making my own canvas panels by "glueing" canvas to a masonite, poplar or veneer panel with gesso. This creates an archival layer between the panel and canvas and is something you don't get with most commercial panels. To finish, I apply three coats of gesso to the surface.
An artist friend of mine Phil Korell, taught me the basics of this process a few years ago and I have to say, I do like the results. They are much more substantial and have a neat, sort of old world look. Unfortunately, since starting my daily painting journal in January, I am stretched for time and am unable to continue making my own panels, so I switched over to a professional grade, Everlast canvas panel.
Does anyone have a suggestion on the type of panel they prefer?
I miss my old panels!