Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"Rocky Shore"

9 x 6" watercolor/arches

For purchase information click here.

Howdy!  I am back from a much needed break and I had such a wonderful time!  We went camping up by the Seeley - Swan Valley, north of here.  It was SO beautiful!  We did some hiking, fishing (my husband) and painting (me!)
This little watercolor I did from the west shore of Lake Alva looking toward the Swan Range.  My husband dropped me off here, while he canoed down the lake to do some fly fishing.  I was painting away, when suddenly I realized I was sitting right in the middle of a huckleberry patch.  Yummy to be sure, but this area is prime grizzly bear habitat!!  And grizzlies in Montana, LOVE their huckleberries. I had a brief case of the "woods willies" but then relaxed and got lost in my painting.

  The situation reminded me of this illustration by John Potter, from the cover of Jim and Narda Wilcox's book, The Artist's Book of Excuses (And How Not to need Them)