Monday, September 8, 2008

"Aspen Leaves - Study in Oil"

6 x 8" oil/canvas panel
For purchase information click here
--------
Heres another try at those aspen leaves, a bit condensed and this time in oil.  I wanted to see if I could capture those same subtle grays, so effortless in watercolor.  NOT an easy thing to do, but I think I'm close.  I mentioned this the other day in Carol Marine's blog, on how important it is for an artist to play around with their palette.  Specifically by creating color charts.  I know!  That sounds suspiciously like WORK!!  But it does help you befriend your mud and turn it into something beautiful!

2 comments:

  1. I really admire your work... and your advice to play with the palette is well-taken: I recently got a batch of colors on ebay, ones I'd never have bought individually because I work with a severely limited palette. My colors just went to hell. I had to start mixing and putting dabs off to the side, see what they look like, just to try to get control again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Edgar!
    For me it was the best thing I could've done for my oil paintings. I worked mainly in watercolors for years, because of the frustration in getting the right color harmony with my oils. Its when I decided to do those grueling color charts that things started to pay off.
    You can paint all day long and everyday, but at some point you need to start really THINKING about what you are doing.
    I'll post one of the charts today to show the process.

    ReplyDelete