Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Couch Potato"...almost done!

12 x 16" oil/canvas panel

I've been working on this painting for a couple days now.  Its for entry into the regional OPA show in Idaho this coming fall.  The deadline is in two days!  wheeze...wheeze!!!
I could give a whole dissertation on how this painting came to be, but just to keep it short...
This whole daily painting business is really making a huge difference in my work.  (As I was hoping it would!)  I also have found a few artists blogs that have helped me to stay focused and true to myself and my style.  Thanks to both Karin Jurick, who paints her own way and is amazing!  Also to David Malan, for offering such a huge resource of talent (his own included) within his website and blog.  I can't begin to tell you how important studying other artists work is, especially for an emerging artist such as myself.  Also sketching is a big part of it!  Thomas Eakins taught his students to sketch a subject fifty times before going to the main canvas.  I didn't paint my Border Collie that many times, but around fifteen or so.