Monday, July 26, 2010

A Break for Me & Golden Dreams for Amy

Golden Dreams - 12 x 16" - nfs

As some of you may have noticed, I've been absent these past few months. I needed to take a break for awhile and help out on the ranch. This means I got to drive around a big tractor, making the hay we'll need to feed our livestock this winter. With the amazing amount of moisture we've had this year, we were able to put up around 300 ton - about twice what we normally produce.
The decision to take a break also came after our little Arabian mare Amy died of complications from colic. This is the second equine death for us and yet another heartbreak to add to this year's mounting list of Unfortunate Events. Amy was my daughter's horse and was one of those Good Ones - so kind hearted and willing. To safely take any level of rider where they wanted to go. She was 27 years young and is the subject of the painting above.
They say people in the livestock industry become hardened to death and we've certainly had our share of that here on the ranch, but I've got to be honest, it never gets any easier. Often times I wish we raised apples. I'm sure no tears were ever shed over worm holes - well, with farmers - who's to say.
The good news is (and finally there is some!!) my husband and I will be taking a well deserved vacation in these next few weeks - the first in three years! So during that time, I'm hoping to clear my head, come back to the studio and get to work on some of these canvases.

Until next time...